Learn to make your own model horse tack items! Just add a few simple tools and a bit of time, and you can get started crafting realistic scale miniature tack in no time.
We offer a basic Western Saddle Kit, Halter Kits, Western Bridle Kits, English Bridle Kits and Accessories Kits.
(Sorry, no english saddle kits are available at this time)
Rio Rondo offers a number of kits to make quality miniature items suitable for display or competition.
Kits are available in either Traditional Scale (approx. 1:9) or the smaller Classic Scale (approx 1:12 or dollhouse).
(Traditional Scale Kits fit Peter Stone Models)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about our Western Saddle Kits
All Kits include:
Every tackmaker should have a few essential tools on hand to construct their tack projects. Rio Rondo's kits generally require the following items
• Small Needle-Nose Pliers with cutters
• Sharp Scissors
• Duco Cement or 527 Bond Glue
• X-Acto Knife and blades
• Small "00" size hole punch (or a small brad and hammer or mallet)
• Awl (for making or enlarging holes)
• Leather Dye, Finish & Solvent (rubbing alcohol can substitutee for solvent in most cases--read and follow all label precautions)
• Nail Polish Remover (acetone based, removes unwanted glue from items and fingertips)
• Small Paintbrush or Dauber for leather dye
• Glue Tips (optional)
• Black or Dark Brown Paint Pen Marker
• Sandpaper –220, 340 & 400 grit.
While you probably won't need or use all of the items for every project, this list is a good start.
COMMON SENSE & SAFETY FIRST!
Many of the tools, supplies and substances used to create miniatures are potentially hazardous if used in a careless manner! Our kits are recommended for persons age 12 or above, but we also highly recommend that any young person assembling our kits or creating any miniature items be supervised and/or assisted by an adult. Safety first!